about us all about Community Links
Community Links is an innovative east London charity working with 16,000 people each year.
We have over 30 years experience working in one of the most deprived, diverse and vibrant areas in the UK. Half our staff live locally and 40% are former service users or volunteers. Our work is about far more than numbers, but here are some.
Last year we:
• Ran youth clubs and children’s activities for almost 4,000 young people
• Advised almost 10,000 people with benefits, housing and debt problems - at a time when funding for this work is shrinking
• Supported 3,950 unemployed people - over a third found sustainable jobs, many more have gone onto further training and voluntary work.
• Worked with 177 young people excluded from mainstream education, in our own Ofsted registered school, Education Links increasing the GCSE pass rate by 7%.
• Supported over 200 vulnerable ten and eleven year olds make a successful transition to secondary school though our Opening Doors project
And those are just the big numbers, scratching the surface. We haven’t mentioned our social enterprises, our groundbreaking Early Action Task Force, or our farm. Our real success comes from the way we work with individuals – success that’s measured as the individual and the organisation develop and grow, together.
One of Britain’s most inspiring community organisationsDavid Cameron, Prime Minister
To generate change. To tackle causes not symptoms, find solutions not palliatives. To recognise that we need to give as well as to receive and to appreciate that those who experience a problem understand it best. To act local but think global, teach but never stop learning. To distinguish between the diversity that enriches society and the inequalities that diminish it. To grow – but all to build a network not an empire. To be driven by dreams, judged on delivery. To never do things for people but to guide and support, to train and enable, to simply inspireCommunity Links' values
This short film outlines some of our work: